A-Level or equivalent standard of education and a very high standard of spoken and written English language.
23 Jan 2024 to 2 May 2024
Tuesdays, 9AM to 6PM
Thursdays, 5PM to 9PM
Plus an additional study for at least a day convenient to you.
Key features and Benefits
- Study at our World Class Campus
- Fantastic learning facilities
- We work with over 3,000 employers to help you find a job
- Rated "Good" by Ofsted in all areas - as of January 2022
- Courses are free.*
The course is designed for those wishing to teach English to speakers of other languages (people whose first language is not English). CELTA is highly regarded throughout the world, it provides the skills you need and will make it easier to get a teaching job anywhere.
Free places now available!*
The course is designed for those wishing to teach English to speakers of other languages (people whose first language is not English). CELTA is highly regarded throughout the world, it provides the skills you need and will make it easier to get a teaching job anywhere. The certificate is internationally recognised and is particularly useful if you want to live and work abroad. Please note if you wish to work in Further, Adult and Community Education in the UK, the Level 5 ESOL teacher training course is required. Please visit https://www.natecla.org.uk/ for your nearest provider.
How will the course be delivered?
Through classroom based activities alongside a tutor and other delegates at a similar level. Tuesdays will consist of classroom teaching and observation followed by group feedback and guided planning for the following week's teaching. Thursdays will include further guided planning followed by taught theory sessions.
* Subject to conditions:
- Completion of the full course
- Committing to work for at least six months at Blackburn College in a paid teaching position
- Meeting University of Cambridge standard at a satisfactory level
Non fulfilment of the above will incur full cost payment of the course fee.
What will I study?
There are five main units of learning, these are:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
CELTA is an intense course and it is wise to be well prepared. For online resources to support your CELTA journey, we highly recommend ELT-Training.com a website run by an experienced CELTA tutor. In particular, the free resource The Ultimate Guide to CELTA Success and the pre-CELTA Grammar for Language Teachers are extremely helpful.
Please note the entry criteria for this course is as follows:
- The course is aimed at individuals with little or no previous teaching experience
- Applicants should be/have the following; A-Level or equivalent standard of education
- Applicants should have a very high standard of spoken and written English language
- Applicants must be able to commit to a full day on Tuesdays 8.30 am - 6.00 pm and Thursdays 5.00 pm -& 9.00 pm for the full 14 weeks and have free another full day each week in addition to these days (or part days) to plan lessons, work on assignments and do extra reading. The course is extremely demanding, hard work and necessitates a huge amount of self study and planning time.
There are two components to the selection process:
Here we'd like to assess your standard of written English as well as your knowledge of English grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary. We use 2 tasks to help us do this:
- Application form
- Pre-interview task
Here we assess your standard of written and spoken English as well as your communication and team working skills. We use 3 tasks to help us do this:
- A group discussion about an aspect of language
- A 5 minute 'micro teach'
- An extended written essay style task
This course is also eligible for advanced learner loan funding - the loan fee is £1,417 - contact us for more information
What can I do next?
If you wish to work in Further, Adult and Community Education in the UK, the Level 5 ESOL teacher training course is required.
Discover other courses in Teaching
99.7% Overall BTEC Pass RateBlackburn College Results August 2021