Skip to main content
Apply now
Apply now

We support students with gaining independence, keeping in mind their specific needs to provide a safe bridge from secondary school to adult life.

The ALS (Additional Learning Support) Team at Blackburn College are committed to help and support you overcome any barriers to learning you may face if you have an emotional, physical or learning difficulty.

We offer support across all College sites: in-class, outside of the classroom, with exams and assessments and in the wider College environment. This support is to enable you to access all the opportunities on offer and ensure you enjoy yourself while studying at Blackburn College.

We are a responsive support service and will tailor support to meet your individual needs.

Please read the booklets below which will provide with all the information on what we offer and how we support our students.

Special Educational Needs Support

Off-Course Support

    • Study Skills Support
    • Dedicated 'Success Centre' that students can drop in to receive GCSE Maths and English support
    • Taxi breaks and Lunch Time support

If you have an EHCP (Educational Health and Care Plan), the ALS department will produce a bespoke support plan outlining the support that you need at College, subject to commissioning.  This may include:

  • In-class support (e.g. prompts, readers, scribe, note-taking)
  • Mobility support
  • Specialist resources and equipment (e.g. laptops with assistive software, Dictaphone, reader pens, spell checker)
  • Modification of learning materials (e.g. Braille, modified large print)
  • Personal care / Lunchtime support
  • Transition
  • Orientation
  • Exam access arrangements

In-Class Support

    • 1-to-1 Support, Note Taking and Scribing
    • Group Support in Class
    • Discreet support

If you do not have an EHCP, but have SEN/D needs, then the ALS department will produce a bespoke support plan outlining the support you need at College which will be provided by the department you are studying in.

student sits reading book on long green sofa in front of book casing with scattered books and 3d wooden lettering

How can I access more information about this support?

  • Through transition from school to Blackburn College: We'll help you with your transition to College, whatever course you'll be starting . You can invite the Transitions Team to your Year 10/11 or EHCP review at school and they'll be able to explain what courses are offered and how you'll be supported before and during your time at College.
  • College Open Days: you can come and speak to the ALS team on these days.  We will be able to tell you about the support we can offer. You can find all the latest Events here.
  • Tours: Once you have applied for a course, we will be able to offer you a tour of the area you are interested in.
  • Taster Days: After your interview, the department may offer taster days (during the Summer) to give you an idea of what the course will be like. 
student smiling in classroom

Declare your Learning Needs:

It is important to declare a learning need/disability as soon as possible, so that we can organise the support you need.  You can do this by:

  • Contacting us in advance to inform us of your interest in attending Blackburn College and informing us of your needs
  • During a transition meeting at school with Blackburn College – we can ask you and your current teachers for information and evidence at this time
  • Declaring a learning need/disability on your application form
  • Informing the ALS team and/or teachers at any time during your course

Contact Us

You can talk to us about your support needs before you apply to Blackburn College or any time during your course – we’ll be happy to help.

You can contact us on:

  • Phone
    • ALS Information -  01254 292336
    • Transitions Team - 01254 292411 
    • Textphone for the hearing impaired - 07837418148