The £13m University Centre, opened in 2009, is the home of our wide-ranging Higher Education courses.
It strikes the perfect balance between inspiring teaching spaces, nurturing support services and other amenities which complement studying for a degree.
Welcome to the University Centre
- First-class Art, Design, Fashion, Textiles, Illustration, Animation and Photography studio spaces and Apple Mac suites
- Computing laboratories
- Moot courtroom sponsored by AMT Lawyers
- Students’ Union with pool table and break out area
- Purpose-built classrooms and teaching spaces
- Library with thousands of books, journals, computers and tablets you can borrow
- The Curve serving hot and cold food and beverages — including Starbucks
Stay ahead at the University Centre Library
Our libraries are vibrant and have been newly refurbished with state-of-the-art technology such as self-issue machines, VDI computers and 250 drop-in PCs and laptops, providing you with all the software you’ll need to get ahead in your studies.
We have a substantial collection of learning resources including more than 35,000 books. Our 24/7 library of online databases, journals and e-books mean that you can fit your studies into your busy lifestyle whether you're on campus, at home or even on holiday. Each course or subject area has its own online library guide bringing all your key online library resources and study materials, such as ‘how tos’ for research and referencing and past exam papers, together in one easy to navigate webpage.
Everyone has different study styles and we have zones, spaces and study rooms to meet your needs, including group study areas, quiet study spaces and silent study rooms.
Helping you succeed
Our friendly and supportive staff can help you find a book, print a document, or navigate your way through your online library guide. And it doesn’t stop there. We also offer photocopying, colour and black and white printing, a wide range of very reasonably priced stationery and binding, laminating services to help you get that polished look for your essays and reports.
Our opening hours may be subject to change. Please check Moodle, join our Facebook/Twitter pages or give us a ring for details.
- Monday to Thursday: 8:30am – 6:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Please note the use of The Exchange is subject to Blackburn College rules and regulations and is for individual educational purposes only. We welcome the following external visitors to use our library facilities subject to the conditions below:
- You must be aged 18+
- You must be either Blackburn College Alumni OR studying at one of our partner organisations (If studying at a partner organisation: Lancaster University, UCLAN, University of South Wales - you will be required to show your current Student ID Card)
- You must provide contact details on registering for your visit.
- Visitor entry is only available in the Blackburn University Centre Library, from 10am – 3pm, Monday – Friday.
On arrival for your visit you must register as follows:
- Please report to Main Reception, Beacon Centre to sign in as a library visitor.
- You will need to show two forms of ID: one form of photographic ID (passport or driving licence) and one as proof of address (bank statement or utility bill).
- Once you have your Visitor ID, you can make your way across to the University Centre Library, where reception will arrange for a member of staff to meet you at the doors.
Services available during your visit:
- Reference only access to the book collection.
- Use of study space, including electric and Wi-Fi for your own device.
Services unavailable during your visit:
- Use of the college computer network including, PCs, Photocopiers and Printers.
- E-Books and Electronic Journals.
If you require any further information please contact us on 01254 292165
Get fit at our Sports and Leisure Centre
The £13.5m Sports and Leisure Centre opened in 2015 and features state-of-the-art fitness and leisure facilities open to all our students. It is also home to Sport courses — where two deluxe sport halls can accommodate a myriad of different sporting activities.
- 2 deluxe, multi-sport halls
- 6-lane swimming pool with a water slide
- 80-station gym and fitness suite
- Aerobics studio
- Spin studio
- Physiotherapy laboratory
Catch up with friends at the Curve
The Curve is always a hub of activity and for good reason too. With plush seating and a pool table, it’s a great place to catch up with friends over a bite to eat. If this isn’t enough to tempt you, what if we told you The Curve is one of three outlets across campus serving Starbucks - at student prices too!