Skip to main content
Entry Requirements icon

Entry Requirements

Minimum of 10 hours work/volunteering per week and L2 Child Care course or initial assessment.

Study Mode icon

Study Mode

Full time

Parrt time

Duration icon


1 academic year

Timetable icon


Check with tutor.

For Adult Learners

Key features and Benefits

  • Study at our World Class Campus
  • Fantastic learning facilities
  • We work with over 3,000 employers to help you find a job
  • Rated "Good" by Ofsted in all areas - as of January 2022

Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator) is for learners who are already employed within the Early Years sector.


Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator) is for learners who are already employed within the Early Years sector

The Level 3 Diploma Early Years Practitioner (Early Years Educator):

  • Covers the age range from birth to 7 years
  • Has a minimum QCF credit value of 64
  • Requires minimum of 10 hours employment or voluntary in a real work environment
  • Requires a minimum GCSE grade C in Maths and English or equivalent (or be willing to work towards)

What are the benefits of the employee?

Employees will benefit from:

  • A clear understanding of their responsibility within the organisation
  • The opportunity to develop new skills
  • The recognition of existing skills

What will I get at the end of this course?

NCFE CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator)

How much does it cost?

Fees are subject to funding depending upon eligibility criteria of the individual learner.

You can apply for a Learner Loan to help with your course or pay for the course upfront, using the Commericial course option (£820)

To find out more information, please email

What will I study?

There are a range of themes you will cover during this qualification. These include:

  • Theme 1: Health and well-being
  • Theme 2: Legislation, frameworks and professional practice
  • Theme 3: Play, development and learning for school readiness

Entry Requirements

You will need to have a minimum of 10 hours work/volunteering per week and there will be an initial assessment if you haven't completed a L2 Child Care course.

How will I be assessed?

You are assessed by producing a portfolio of evidence that supports your ability and competence to work with young children. Each learner will be assigned an experienced, qualified assessor to assess competency in the real work environment using methods of direct observation, questioning, case studies and workbooks.

Your Study Programme

Discover other courses in Early Years

Career Options

Early Years Teacher

Early years teachers, also known as nursery teachers, work with children aged from birth to five years in day nurseries, children's centres and independent nursery schools. They are specialists in early childhood development. They plan, organise and run a wide range of learning and play activities for young children in a safe and supportive setting.

If you love children and are committed to giving them a great start in life, this could be an ideal career for you.

You’ll need a clear understanding of how young children learn, lots of creative ideas and the ability to work closely with parents, teachers and other professionals.

To become an early years teacher, you will need to complete early years initial teacher training and demonstrate that you’ve met the Teachers’ Standards (early years). For this you will normally need a degree and also GCSEs (A*-C) in English, maths and a science subject, or equivalent qualifications. You will also need to pass Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks.

Primary School Teacher

In this job you will help to give young children the best possible start in life. If you like spending time with young people, and want to work in education, a job as a primary school teacher could be perfect for you.

You will need to have enthusiasm for the subjects you teach. You’ll also need to be able to relate to pupils and their parents, and have patience and a good sense of humour.

One of the main routes into primary school teaching is to do Initial Teacher Education or Training (ITET) and get qualified teacher status. To do this you must have GCSEs in English, maths and a science subject. You will also need clearance by the Disclosure and Barring Service.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching assistants support children with their learning activities in the classroom. They work closely with teachers to make sure pupils enjoy learning in a safe and caring setting.

If you like working with children and want to play a part in their education and wellbeing, this career could be ideal for you. You'll need to the ability to work closely with parents and teachers. You'll also need good literacy and numeracy skills, as well as creative ideas for activities.

To do this job, you will usually need some experience of working with children. Qualifications in early years work will also be helpful. You may be able to start as a trainee through an Apprenticeship scheme.

Special Needs Teaching Assistant

If you are keen to help children and want to work in a school, this could be an ideal job for you. Special needs teaching assistants help children with a wide range of learning, physical or behavioural difficulties.

Local education authorities (LEAs) and schools decide which qualifications and experience they expect. You are likely to need some experience to find paid work. A good way of getting this experience is by volunteering in your local school.

To be a special needs teaching assistant you will need to be patient, and firm when necessary. You must also be willing to help with children’s personal needs.

Family Support Worker

If you want to make a positive difference to children and their families' lives, and help them have a better future, this job could be perfect for you.

Most employers will want you to have experience and qualifications that show your ability and potential for this work and you can get the experience you need through paid or voluntary work in children’s homes, nurseries, refuge centres or family community centres, for example. You will also need to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

Once working you can expect training in all aspects of the job. You’ll need to be able to build relationships with families facing difficult circumstances, have a non-judgemental approach and have lots of patience and understanding.

Group of students and staff happy. Some holding stars and signs saying University of Oxford, Lancaster University, Manchester University and University of Central Lancashire

99.7% Overall BTEC Pass Rate

Blackburn College Results August 2021
  • Ofsted Good
  • Lancaster University.
  • University of South Wales.
  • University of Central Lancashire.
  • Skills for Health Quality Mark
  • Advance HE.
  • University of the Arts London.
  • Disability Confident Employer.